Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard is the first book in a young adult, fantasy series. The novel is set in a land divided by the colour of Blood. Reds are seen as commoners who are ruled by the elite Silver who possess god like powers. The story joins a Red, Mare Barrow, who lives in a poverty stricken village. A twist of fate brings our main character in front of a Silver Court. Faced with the people she hates the most. The King fears her and hides her in plain view. This turns Mare against all she has believed and known changing her fate and her families fate for good.
I gave Red Queen a 5/5 stars. This was because I really enjoyed the land the novel is set in. All the settings are explained well in the book. As well as this, the way the author writes about the society is well informed and easy for the reader to follow along with. I became fond of our character Mare Barrow and felt hatred towards some of the characters in the book which can be hard to do sometimes. However, the writing let me form opinions of all the characters in the book.
One downside to this book was some of the events that took place were predictable for myself. I found myself guessing a chunk of the ending as well as some of the other main events in this book. This left me a little disheartened however, some parts of the storyline still took me by surprise.
Overall, I enjoyed many aspects of this book such as the characters, setting and events which took place in the novel. This is why I gave the book a 5/5 stars.
No comments:
Post a Comment